Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My adventure race


Well you have all read about how an adventure race goes for the competitors - here is how it goes for the support crew! I felt a bit removed from the build up to this race this year - probably because I was still a little bit annoyed with Maurie for refusing to be sensible and withdrawing from the race after he broke his rib, but I had enjoyed being part of the support crew last year so was happy to do it again. This year it was just Ted (Lea's dad - the hard worker) and me (the decorative less useful one) .

Ted enjoying a well earned cuppa after establishing an excellent camp site at the Lake





By the time we arrived at the camp site on Friday all was set up including a double height airbed for Maurie and I - Lea made the ultimate sacrifice - that girl rocks!
Food this year was great - a big thank you to Pete who did the cooking (which meant I didn't have to-yeehaa!) and as with all Pete's food it was yummy. Thanks also to Bev who makes the best fruit cake ever - which Ted was gracious enough to share with me. After a good nights sleep we were up at 5am to get ready for the big adventure - after an initial panic about whether the lake was going to try and drown them the crew set off in their kayaks for a shortened first leg. Spirits were high as they set off for the first trek which would take them up and over a high thing to the Tarawera Falls. After packing up for the next two transitions Ted and I took off for the Falls - which I had never seen and I had enough time to go and see them - spectacular!


Well thats halfway through and it is time for the best tv programme for ages - True Blood.
Part 2 tomorrow.





3 comments:

Ariadne aka Marilyn said...

Nice to read your side of the story Leigh. Looking forward to reading part 2 soon.

Terry said...

Good to hear where all the real work is done Leigh -pleased to hear he got a hard time over racing-he's a crazy bugger.

Terry

Lea said...

How the other half live - I always wondered what the support crew got up to.